Dental Examination and Cleaning
A comprehensive dental examination will be performed by one of our highly skilled dentists at your initial visit. At your examination the following vital procedures will be performed:
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of gingivitis and periodontal disease.
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays: Essential for the detection of decay, tumors, cysts and bone loss.
Following your check-up a treatment plan can be developed to suit your personal needs.
Professional Dental Cleaning
In order to keep your smile beautiful and healthy, it is important to have your teeth regularly cleaned. Swollen, red and bleeding gums and persistent bad breath are an indication of gum disease, which if untreated, can lead to tooth loss and general health problems. At Oxenford Dental Centre, professional dental cleaning is usually performed by one of our Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include:
- Removal of calculus: Calculus is a hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum-line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that inflame the gums. The inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Removal of stains caused by smoking, wine, tea and coffee consumption.
- Fluoride treatment: Fluoride helps to strengthen the teeth by seeping into the tooth enamel, making the teeth more resistant to tooth decay. At Oxenford Dental we generally recommend a professional application of fluoride twice a year during dental check-ups.
- Oral Hygiene Instruction: It is important that thorough homecare routines are practiced on a daily basis to prevent future dental problems. At Oxenford Dental we provide advice on tooth brushing and flossing at your appointments.