Unfortunately, it is sometimes necessary to remove a tooth that has been heavily damaged or for orthodontic reasons. Our dental team will help ensure that you are comfortable during the procedure and we are frequently complimented on how gentle we are. After an extraction we will give you advice on how to care for your mouth to help ensure a speedy recovery.
Wisdom tooth removal
Wisdom teeth are a set of four teeth that erupt into the back four corners of the mouth usually between the ages of 17 to 21.
Sometimes wisdom teeth will not grow or erupt into a position that allows them to be functional teeth. Teeth that become impacted are generally more likely to cause problems such as:
- Infections of the gum around the teeth.
- Decay of adjacent functioning teeth.
- Cysts and tumors that can grow around impacted teeth.
- Crowding: Some people feel that impacted wisdom teeth can contribute to crowding.
- Jaw fracture: For those who play contact sport, most fractured jaws occur at the site of impacted teeth, as they can create a point of weakness.
Prior to removing wisdom teeth, our patients need to have an OPG x-ray to assess the position of the teeth and the likelihood of any complications.